Lip Dub 2013 Video/Acceptance Day Rally: A Great Day for Abington High School!

On May 28, 2013, Abington High School came together for two very special events – the taping of the very first AHS Lip Dub video, and the very first Acceptance Day Rally. We talked with two seniors that were instrumental in (if not responsible) for making this day happen.

2013 (28) Lip Dub Video2013 (29) 2013 (30) 2013 (33) 2013 (34) 2013 (35) 2013 (36) 2013 (38) 2013 (39)

Jack Malafronte – Lip Dub Video

Question: Can you define/describe a Lip Dub video?

Malafronte: A lip dub is basically a group of solo acts that lip-synch to a song. In the background we try to get as many kids involved as we can to demonstrate school spirit.

Q: Why did you want to put one together for AHS?
A: It also gives us a chance to leave behind a legacy and sort of a challenge to future classes. Also, it was part of an independent study I did with Mr. Serino.

Q: Can you describe what it was like to work on this? What was the most challenging part? What was the most fun etc.
A: It was a lot of fun, but extremely stressful and time consuming. In the end hopefully the product makes it all worth it. It was difficult to organize the entire student body and get them excited, but on the day all showed up ready to go and hopefully that translates into the final product. It was a lot of fun getting it all together and working with the individual solo acts for all of our rehearsals and seeing all of the different types of students come together around one cause, first the Lip Dub and then the Acceptance Day Rally. It was a great day at AHS.

Q: Were you happy with the effort and support? It seemed like people really go into it on the day of the taping?
A: Early on we were a little concerned, but true to form the students and faculty stepped up and demonstrated all of the things that make AHS great.

Q: Do you want to mention any students or teachers that helped you put this together?
A: The Solo Acts put a lot of time in rehersing and working through problems and generating excitement. Ms Lewis and the student council helped with decorating, the administration was awesome, it could not have happened without their support. To let us have this project and basically give us everything we needed was excellent. The custodial staff for dealing with the late night rehersals and cleaning up afterwards and the faculty and staff were tremendous leading up to and throughout the Lip Dub. Mr. Serino was the adviser and helped organize and supervise rehersals at night and all along the way with ideas.

Q: When/where can we see the Abington High Lip Dub?
A: It will be on YouTube hopefully the week of June 10.

Megan McHugh – Acceptance Day Rally
Right after the LIP Dub final taping on Tuesday, May 28, members of the Gay Straight Alliance Club (under the tutelage of Ms. Andrea Clifford) hosted an Acceptance Day Rally for the entire school. The rally recognized students who have been involved in clubs, activities, music, drama, winter and spring athletics. But mostly, it was an opportunity for students to celebrate each other and have some fun. Megan McHugh was one of the main organizers of this event.

Question: How did you come up with the idea for the Acceptance Day Rally and why did you want to do it?
McHugh: I absolutely cannot say that I came up with the idea of Acceptance Day or even having another pep rally. After our fall pep rally so many people came back upset because the things that they do for the school weren’t recognized (including myself) and many students felt that more than just sports should be acknowledged. With spring coming around and many seniors being disappointed with the lack of spirited activities this year, some went to the administration to get this in the works and it came to Student Council and when our organization couldn’t do it, we brought it to the Gay Straight Alliance. I wanted to have something memorable and it seemed like this was the thing to do.

Q: What did you hope to accomplish?
A: I hoped to showcase as many great students and activities that this school has to offer and show that somebody does acknowledge them and care about what they have to offer.

Q: Why do you think having an Acceptance Day Rally is important?
A: This rally is important because in our town sports are huge because we’re great at them, but that doesn’t mean that we’re only great at sports. It was about time that every time we have a pep rally all of the school’s talent is showed.

Q: What was the best part about doing it?
A: The best part about doing it was going from alone in front of a computer trying to pull this together to getting upwards of 30 kids, many of whom I’ve never even met before, helping me to get everything done because they wanted this to happen too.

Q: Did you have fun?
A: Organization was stressful but when I was in front of the kids cheering, dancing to Leighann (Healy), Meghan (Nigrelli) and Vicky (Lynch) as they sang, I realized that this was it, and I began to have a great time.

Q: Is there anything you wanted to add?
A: I want to give recognition to the Students Art Magazine who chose not to be in the tug of war, Melissa Joseph who originally took this to the administration with me, Paige Young and Ryan Kovalski who also fought for this long before I did, and Ms. Jessica Sullivan for wanting to do this so badly.

Link to the YouTube Video www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujmrMvJBsyk