Anne Smith is ready for her 35th Abington Music Parents Fall Craft Fair

She gets a lot of help from current and former parents and students

Abington Music Parents

Anne Smith with current music director Joyce Harrington

Every year the Abington Music Parents host a craft fair at Abington High School to raise money for the music program at Abington Public Schools. For 35 years, (since its inception) Mrs. Anne Smith has chaired this event.

The craft fair began when her late husband, Paul K. Smith, was Director of Music.  (The Paul K. Smith room at the high school is named for him.) “There was a cut in funds for the marching band, and they did a lot of (costly) competitions. To be able to (compete), they needed funds for instructors and transportation,” said Mrs. Smith. So, the Music Parent’s Fall Craft Fair was born. And, it has been going strong ever since.

Mrs. Smith credits the students and parents that help out for making the effort so successful. “The crafters appreciate that the students and parents help them carry supplies in and out of the building and set up. The parents and students deserve a lot of credit for that,” said Mrs. Smith.

Of great importance are the parents that no longer have children in the program. “The craft fair has been successful because (former) music parents still help.  A lot of them have grandchildren now, and they still come back,” said Mrs. Smith.

The craft fair has been successful because (former) music parents still help. A lot of them have grandchildren now, and they still come back.

— Anne Smith

So, after 35 years Mrs. Smith continues to organize the event she helped start. She says she continues to devote her time simply because raising money for the music program is “a good cause.”

The 35th annual Music Parents Craft Fair will be held on Sunday, September 14 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. inside the Richard Morey Gymnasium at Abington High School. It will include 80 different craft displays, a snack bar, a bake sale and a raffle. General admission is $2 and $1 for senior citizens.