Welcoming Winter Break

Ways AHS Students Spend Winter Break

Cameron Curney, Managing Editor

The last day of school in 2018 at Abington High was Friday, Dec 21. Students, faculty, and staff donned ugly sweaters, shared a few festivities like a tea party in Mrs. Keneally’s Sculpture class, and were released a few minutes early with an announcement from Dr. Sullivan.

Christmas is now less than 24 hours away and many are getting last minute gifts, flailing in a sea of Christmas music.  This week is also winter break and some AHS students were interviewed about their winter break traditions.

Brian Tolan ‘21, Jason Rizzitano ‘22, and Lauren Nelligan ‘19 celebrate a traditional US Christmas.  Nelligan said, “for Christmas, it’s nice to spend time with family members.” She also said that “winter break is a great break from school.”

What is your favorite part of winter break?

• Just relaxing (38%, 3 Votes)
  • Vacationing with family and/or friends (25%, 2 Votes)
  • Not having to get up early (13%, 1 Votes)
  • Celebrating the holiday (13%, 1 Votes)
  • Having no homework (13%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 6

Loading ... Loading ...

Rizzitano plans on spending time with family and going out to eat.  Tolan enjoys the breath of “fresh air” and looks forward to ordering Papa Gino’s on Christmas Eve.

Yaz Zaidan ‘20 does not celebrate any holidays over vacation. He wanted to clarify that Kwanza is not the default holiday for brown people who do not celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah. Kwanza is a celebration of the African diaspora.

Zaidan has historically thought of the winter break as a “fun and a good break from school.”  In addition, as a member of the school’s Ultimate team, Zaidan said that “this year I am going to work and spend time with friends” most notably “tossing the disc.”

[the Winter break is a] fun and a good break from school.

— Yazan Zaidan

Krish Panjwani ‘21 does not observe a December holiday but enjoys the break.  His only complaint for this time of year is a 10-year-old joke in which people replace the “Christ” in Christmas with “Krish”.  Panjwani would like this to stop.

No matter how it is spent, students indicate they enjoy the winter break.

Caption has been updated to correct the class from sophomores to juniors for the students in the photo exchanging gifts (1/12).