S.O.S.: Save Our Symphonies!

The Abington Marching Band Hopes for New Members

Yani Soares, Staff Writer

One of the most disappointing things that can happen to the average student is having one of their favorite clubs dwindle. Abington Marching Band is losing almost a dozen of its current members.

The main reason is that a large amount of the Marching Band is composed of seniors who graduate this year. Joe Genest is a prime example. The Abington High Marching Band is filled with the most cheerful, polite students you can find, like Genest.  Joe is, unfortunately, one of the many Senior students who will be leaving. However, his love of music can live on with the other members as they work together to play to be amazingly skilled in the musical arts.

Ms. Pflaumer

As one of the most memorable faces of the band and a musical aficionado, Joe has participated in about every music related activity is the school, and his praises for the after school symphonies paint a fine picture for others to consider.

When asked about his experience in the band, Joe said, “Being in Marching Band has been the highlight of high school for me. To be able to take a small band of kids of all levels of playing experience, and to build it up has been amazing. I hope after I graduate that the band continues to grow and is able to play at more sporting events, and to someday be able to compete.”

The Abington Marching Band is a haven for students who hope to play wonderful, upbeat songs for massive audiences, whether they are at the Frolio Football Field or the Gillette Stadium.

Pullquote Photo

I hope after I graduate that the band continues to grow and is able to play at more sporting events, and to someday be able to compete.

— Joseph Genest

Beyond the flashy performances across different towns and cities, the band also practices hard whenever they can and puts their all into their many songs. These can range from the patriotic tunes of “The Star-Spangled Banner” and “This Is My Country” to upbeat songs such as Salt-N-Pepa’s “Push It” and James Brown’s “I Feel Good”. These performances are headed by Mr. Charles Blanchette, who teaches in Abington’s Music Department.

In the Marching Band, Mr. Blanchette acts as both the conductor and band director. Many members of the band would describe him as a lively, inspiring person who can always make them laugh. Mr. Blanchette also coordinates many of the exciting trips to places such as Gillette Stadium and many parades through the streets of Abington, such as the recent Memorial Day parade. The parade began at the Beaver Brook and ended at the Mount Vernon Cemetery on Plymouth St. A previous parade would be the Saint Patrick’s Day parade, in which Marching Band members marched from Santander Bank to the former Crossett Shoe Factory on Railroad St.

Marching Band member Brian Tolan, ’21, said the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade was, “very festive, with green and orange around every corner.” When asked what it was like to march in the Memorial Day parade, Tolan also said, “It came with a heavy sense of duty which brought along stress along with it, but also a very big sense of pride.

When asked about it, Mr. Blanchette describes the Marching Band as “a bunch of fun-loving kids that enjoy playing instruments and hanging out.”

The Marching Band offers the opportunity to collaborate with other music-loving students. Any student hoping for a chance to perform with their peers needs to look no further than the Abington High School Marching Band. If someone has a love for music and is willing to commit to the musical arts, they would be happy playing with other members, as long as they can show that they are a true team player!

May 31, the first paragraph of this article was updated to correct an error.