Shawn Mendes – A Star on the Rise

Illuminate Tour Hits Boston this August

Morgan MacNeil-Berry, Staff Writer

On September 23, multi-platinum singer/songwriter Shawn Mendes released his sophomore album “Illuminate.” This album features hit songs such as “Treat You Better” and “Mercy.” Mendes recently came off his sold-out world tour, supporting his platinum debut album “Handwritten.” Building upon his success, Mendes announced his first ever headlining arena world tour which will kick off in 2017. The Illuminate World Tour kicks off on March 18 in Manila in the Philippines,  with more stops in Asia and Europe before hitting the states on July 6 in Portland, Oregon. The tour hits Boston on August 23 with a show at the TD Garden.

The “Illuminate” album has become a huge success, not only in the U.S., but across the globe. Similarly to pop star Justin Bieber, Mendes was born in Canada (Toronto) and got discovered online. Mendes started off his career by posting short six second videos of himself singing and playing cover songs on his guitar on Vine, and from there his popularity has risen.

With his success on Vine, Mendes released his freshman album “Handwritten” in 2015 which featured his top ten single “Stitches”. Mendes was then fortunate enough to be one of Taylor Swift’s opening acts for her 1989 world tour. I had the pleasure of seeing that show that show when it stopped at Gillette Stadium, and was very impressed by the up and coming star.

Since then, Mendes has performed live on The Ellen Show, Saturday Night Live, the American Music Awards and many other popular television programs. Even with all of his new found fame, Mendes has not lost his roots, continuing to post covers and original songs on Instagram and YouTube.

Anyone will be humming these tunes once they hear them.

— Morgan MacNeil-Berry

“Illuminate” is a more mature album for Mendes. Songs such as “Treat You Better” and “Mercy,” describe the hardships of love that are difficult for most teens to portray. Not only are the songs relatable, but anyone will be humming these tunes once they hear them.

With an almost Ed Sheeran like feel, Mendes’ voice and lyrics are beautiful and romantic.  From the tweens and teens who love his music (and his hair), to the parents that subconsciously sing his songs while driving their kids to practice, Mendes’ music reaches out to people of every age. His previous album was a huge success, and this album is sure to guarantee a bright future in the music industry. “Illuminate” is available on iTunes and Spotify. Show dates and times are available at shawnmendesofficial.com