Make Your Mark

Senior Jason Polito Reflects on High School

Lauren Nelligan, Contributor

As a current freshman, I have always looked up to my cousin Jason Polito, a member of the Class of 2016. Throughout the years, Jason has always been an easygoing, humble and kindhearted individual, and it is hard to believe that graduation is fast-approaching. As a captain for both the golf and hockey teams this year, he has proven to be a good athlete, and an even better person and family member. With senior year beginning to wind down, Polito provided some insight into his experiences at Abington High School as well as his future intentions in a recent interview.

Since you are a senior this year, what has been the best part of your high school experience?

The best part has been playing high school sports and spending time with my friends.

What has been your favorite class and why?

My favorite class has been law (with Mr. Moore). I am interested in learning about criminal justice and perhaps pursuing a career in this field.

You have played on the hockey team since freshman year. How would you describe your experience?

Playing on the hockey team for four years was a lot of hard work, but it was definitely fun.

This season, you were named a South Shore League All-Star for golf. What important qualities helped you to achieve this?

An important quality is being hardworking. Hard work taught me to be responsible and committed. Practicing a lot definitely pays off.

You were a captain for both hockey and golf teams this year. What were some challenging and rewarding aspects of being a leader?

A challenge was dealing with the team after losing and encouraging them to do better. Something rewarding was being looked up to and setting an example for how the team should carry themselves on and off the golf course and ice by using appropriate etiquette.

After graduation, what are your plans for the future?

I plan to attend college to better prepare myself for life’s challenges ahead. For colleges, I am currently thinking about either UMass Boston or Bridgewater State University.

Do you have any helpful advice for underclassmen and incoming freshmen?

If you work hard now, it will make it easier for you when you are older. You need to stay focused and on-task and embrace every moment, because four years of high school go by really fast!