Skyping with Historian Kenneth C. Davis

The “Don’t Know Much About History” Author

Students attend the Skype experience with author Kenneth C. Davis.

Peter Schafer

Xavier Curney, Staff Writer

On February 9 in the Paul K. Smith music room, a Skype call was held with historian Kenneth C. Davis, author of the New York Times best seller “Don’t Know Much About History” book series.  In addition to writing books, Davis is a frequent lecturer and contributor to National Public Radio, especially their All Things Considered program. According to Publisher’s Weekly (and his bio in Goodreads), he is a “go to guy for historical insight and analysis.”

You should read a lot and get published in your school’s newspaper.

— Kenneth C. Davis

To begin the call Davis introduced himself to the students in attendance (sophomores, and juniors in AP history) by talking about how he has always been interested in history.  Davis then opened himself up for questions from the students.  One of the questions he answered was about where he gets his resources.  Davis said that he gets most of his resources from libraries and that primary source documents are the best place for reliable information.  He thinks that secondary sources are good, but said it depends on the author.

Davis said that his favorite period in American history was the founding of the republic. It was originally the Civil War, but as he learned more about history it changed. He also gave advice on how to get into writing for those who were interested.  “You should read a lot and get published in your school’s newspaper,” said Davis.