“Scream Queens” Season One Complete

Like “Glee” and “AHS” mixed together

Abby Gendreau, Staff Writer

Last September Fox premiered a new show called “Scream Queens.”  It was created by Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan, the same team that brought us “Glee” and “American Horror Story.”  “Scream Queens” has elements of both shows, combining the comedy and school characteristics of “Glee” (this time it’s college) with the mystery and fright of “American Horror Story.”  The first season was quite successful, with Jamie Lee Curtis earning a nomination for a Golden Globe and the show winning a People’s Choice Award for Favorite New Comedy and a Critic’s Choice award for Most Exciting New Series.

The story follows the girls of sorority Kappa Kappa Tau (fictitious Wallace University) while they are systematically murdered by a killer dressed up as the school’s former mascot, the Red Devil.  The girls and the university want to know who the murderer is, without causing bad publicity for the sorority or the school.

The sisters of Kappa Kappa Tau are led by Chanel Oberlin (Emma Roberts) and Zayday Williams (Keke Palmer), whose followers are called Chanels. The Chanels do whatever Oberlin wants, which includes getting to date Chad Radwell (Glen Powell) from the Dickie Dollar Scholars (the campus golfing fraternity) and shopping with her on Black Friday.

‘Scream Queens’ features an all-star cast.

— Abby Gendreau

“Scream Queens” features an all-star cast. Curtis, the original “scream queen” (“Halloween,” ”Prom Night” and “Terror Train”) plays Dean Munsch, who seems to care more about keeping Wallace open then she does about the murders. Lea Michele from “Glee,” in a role written especially for her by the creative team, plays Hester Ulrich (aka Chanel #6). Music stars Arianna Grande (four episodes as Chanel #2) and Nick Jonas (five episodes as Boone Clemens) have special guest starring roles. Roberts and Palmer were also very good; they all did an amazing job, really committing to their roles and making you forget about previous performances you might have seen them in. It was like their characters were real people.

This show was very suspenseful. It keeps you guessing who the Red Devil is until you find out your guess was wrong. There was never a dull moment, so if you haven’t already, you should binge watch season one on Hulu or Fox Now, and then gear up for season two. Fox has already announced that the show will return and the creators are busy working on story lines and episodes.