No Sweat New Year’s Resolutions

That really work

Nicole Bradbury, Staff Writer

The new year is a time for reflection and renewal. Looking back on the success of the past year helps you make goals for the new one. However, keeping an overzealous New Year’s resolution can be somewhat difficult and hard to maintain. Here are a few ideas for your New Year’s resolutions that are easily attainable, and are sure to keep you in a positive mind frame.

People often stay within their comfort zone. Going outside of it is a great way to have new experiences and develop more confidence. Make it a point to answer a question in class even if you aren’t sure of the answer. Be the first to present for a class project, attend a game or drama performance, or even sit with someone new at lunch. Doing this is almost guaranteed to boost your confidence, which is important for any student wishing to have a successful career after high school and college.

Although some may think this activity is only for those who can fold themselves into a pretzel, yoga is a great way to relieve stress and get a great workout at the same time. With midterms and standardized tests coming up, taking at least one yoga class a week is a great way to get your mind in the right place to succeed. Seniors, this can also relieve your stress and anxiety about college acceptances.

Dressing up can have a positive effect on your attitude

— Nicole Bradbury

With all of the homework high school students receive while also juggling extra-curricular activities, it can be quite a hassle to set aside time to relax, never mind reading a book on top of everything else. However, with planning this too can be achieved. Every few days, set aside a half hour to an hour for yourself to read a book for fun. In between studying for tests, or right before bedtime are great times to read. This will not only give your brain time to settle down from academics, but you’ll be gaining knowledge at the same time.

Often, students find it difficult to get dressed up on a day to day basis. This can be extremely hard on a Monday morning, when all you want to do is come into school in your pajamas. However, dressing up can have a positive effect on your attitude and your outlook on school in general. By dressing up in your favorite outfits, you will gain confidence, and show teachers, staff and administrators that you take them and your academics seriously.

Finally, students sometimes lose inspiration to continue strongly in their academics. This can be easily fixed by looking for inspirational quotes. Each morning, look online and jot them down in a notebook or even get a book with a collection of quotes that will carry you through the day. Look for people who inspire you, because those are the quotes that will have the most impact. It’s important to continuously be inspired, and this is a great way to maintain that attitude throughout the year.

No matter what your resolution is, anything is possible with enough determination and dedication. Here’s to a successful 2016!