Sideline Interview with Coach McGinness

Sportsmanship and Unity: an Important Balance

Coach McGinness talks things over with senior goalie Gregory Oreste

(Green Wave Athletics photo by Debbie Quinn used with permission)

Abington CAM

Nicole Marella, Contributor

In a recent interview, Coach McGinness shared his experiences as the boy’s varsity soccer coach at Abington High School.

Becoming a Coach

McGinness started off by coaching the  junior varsity team at AHS for three years, before becoming the varsity coach six years ago. Prior to coaching soccer, McGinness played the sport all through high school. However, he did not play in college. When asked what made him interested in coaching, he said, “I was already teaching (science) and being a coach was something I was interested in. Plus, I already knew a thing or two about soccer.”

This Season

The boy’s varsity soccer team does not have a winning record, but they continue to work hard every day. McGinness holds practices after school on non-game days. He describes a typical practice as “30 to 40 minutes of conditioning, about an hour of skills and drill work, and then 20 to 30 minutes of scrimmaging.” For McGinness, practices are a time for players to improve their skills to do better during games.

Coaches Perspective

When asked about some of the challenging aspects of being a coach, McGinness says that “keeping a good model of sportsmanship and unity can be difficult at times.” But, on the other hand, “getting to see students outside the classroom and learning more about their personalities is very rewarding.” Overall, McGinness says he has really enjoyed being a soccer coach and that there are many gratifying aspects that come with it.