Ready to Go

New captains ready to lead young team

Laurie Curran, Green Wave Boosters

New captain Chris Fay checks the opposition

Caroline Martell, Contributor

Ending the 2013-2014 season with a record of 11-8-5 was definitely an accomplishment for the boys of Abington’s ice hockey team. They were considered the underdogs by numerous reporters; the team made it to the quarterfinals of division three playoffs last year where they fell to Hanover. With a total of seven new players added to this year’s team, there is a strong possibility of another playoff run but, with the loss of last year’s senior captains Joe Marella (forward) and Jake Quinlan (defense) there may also be a few rough patches in the road for the team. Head Coach Brian Smith commented on the matter saying, “Joe and Jake were definitely special players and it is going to take a team effort to replace the points they scored over their careers.”

This year’s hockey schedule is set to begin December 13 at the Rockland Rink where the team will go head to head with East Longmeadow High School who ended last season with a record of 9-7-4. Coach Smith has high expectations for the team saying, “On the whole we have one of the hardest working teams on the south shore; those guys come to the rink everyday ready to work.” The first game of Abington’s season will be dedicated to Abington’s fallen marine, SGT Daniel M. Vasselian. Senior captains, Matt Curran and Chris Fay shared their thoughts with us on the upcoming season:

We have one of the hardest working teams on the south shore; those guys come to the rink everyday ready to work.

— Abington Hockey Coach Brian Smith

How do you think the team will cope without Marella and Quinlan?

Chris Fay:  Losing two of our best all-around players is not going to be easy for us at first. But, if we work as a team and play by the systems we are taught, I believe we will come together as a team and have a successful season; especially with the addition of a forward from Archie’s (Archbishop Williams) and six freshmen.

How does the team plan on taking on teams such as Hanover, Norwell, and Cohasset?

Matt Curran: Well, most teams have lost a significant amount of seniors, so we should have a few good match ups.

What are your expectations for this season? Do you see playoffs in the future?

MC: My expectations are high, but we take it one game at a time. So, you’ll have to come and find out.

How are the freshmen transitioning? Do you think they will be ready for the pace of the varsity games?

CF: As of right now, the freshmen are performing better than predicted. They are physical and what to do with the puck under pressure. With the season right around the corner, I think they will be ready for the pace of the game.

How does it feel being a captain of the team? What does it mean to you? 

CF:  Being a captain of the hockey team  is a major accomplishment for me. To me, being a captain isn’t just about the letter on my jersey, it’s about being there for my teammates on and off the ice.

MC:  It’s an honor for sure to be named as captain of the team this year. Filling the shoes of Joe Marella and Jake Quinlan will be like filling the shoes of giants.

Based on the comments of both players, the Green Wave ice hockey team seems to have a great season ahead. And as Coach Smith said, “We look forward to seeing some packed rinks with Green Wave supporters cheering the team on.”