Hola! Bonjour! Oi! Chao!

AHS Celebrates National Foreign Language Week

National Foreign Language week could not have arrived soon enough! With some students returning from their foreign exchange program in Italy, the school was in perfect condition to celebrate the annual week dedicated to foreign language appreciation. Entryways and hallways were ornamented with flags from countries around the world. Students from different backgrounds were brought closer together as the school celebrated this cultural week.

A handful of students were selected to present the morning announcements in different languages. Juniors Alessandra Vento and Kim Phan presented the morning announcements in Italian and Vietnamese.  “I got to practice public speaking and share my culture with the school. I hope the students appreciated the surrounding cultures exposed to them during the week,” said Phan.

During National Foreign Language Week students learn more about the languages and countries of the world. Many may not realize how much of an impact National Foreign Language Week has on the student body as a whole. “It was a perfect initiative. It allowed all students to participate either by speaking in his or her native tongue or by listening to trivia questions and submitting answers. I thought it was an impactful school wide event,” said Ms. Pflaumer (ELA).