One Year Later

Boston Marathon Survivors Continue to Fight

(onefund.org)

On April 15, 2013, the Boston Marathon bombings took place. It’s crazy to think that it has already been a year since this tragic occurrence. There were many victims who were affected by these bombings old and young but where are they now? Below is an update on just a few of them:

Celeste Corcoran from Lowell, MA was hospitalized after the attacks. Celeste lost both her legs, and is now using prosthetics. Her daughter Sydney, a senior at Lowell High School at the time, was also seriously injured in the attacks. According to the New York Daily News, Celeste is running on treadmills without any assistance. It’s pretty amazing how a woman who went through such a traumatizing situation can get back up so fast. “I was never a runner. I hated running,” Corcoran told Boston television station WCVB. “I feel myself getting stronger and stronger and more and more steady.” “I’m not going to give up. This is not the end. This is just a different beginning,” she told ABC News. Celeste Corcoran is such an inspiration for not giving up even when times got really tough.

Steven Reny and wife Audrey were waiting at the finish line for their daughter Gillian to cross when the first bomb exploded. All three were hospitalized, but according to WCVB Gillian was the most seriously affected. “These were limb-threatening injuries and particularly the right side,” said lead plastic surgeon Christian Sampson who saw “a big fragmentation of the bone of the tibia where she sustained the full brunt of the blast injury.”  She stayed in Brigham and Women’s for a while rehabilitating until she could get back up on her feet. Gillian was a senior in high school and almost couldn’t graduate with her class but she finished and received her high school diploma even though she had to use crutches.70-669

There are so many more victims from the Boston Marathon bombings who recovered so miraculously and strong. These people are true fighters, and its people like this that everyone should look up to. They went through life changing events and kept trying to improve and move forward. They are Boston Strong!